If you ever discuss food with me in person, it won’t take long to realise that I love vegan cuisine. This isn’t only because of the ethical, health and environmental benefits, although I do believe these are of great use to the world, but also how vegan food has driven the need for culinary innovation. For chefs, it’s always an incredible challenge to use new and largely unknown ingredients to create something simply delicious, especially when it’s something as beloved as a BLAT sandwich.
Despite bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato being a relatively basic set of ingredients, there’s just something about this classic combination of flavours that has made it a staple of homes for generations. But with bacon obviously off the menu when it comes to vegan cooking, how can we create something that tastes just as wonderful? In this recipe, the answer is tempeh.
If you’re a little unsure about what that is, tempeh is a traditional Javanese product made from fermented soybeans that’s known as a stellar bacon substitute. Alongside the use of incredibly fresh bread and vegetables to build your sandwich, you can be sure this recipe will help change your mind on how delicious plant-based food can be. Without further ado, it’s time to feast on this delightful lunchtime sandwich.
Tempeh BLAT Sandwich Ingredients:
- 100g tempeh block
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- ½ tbsp corn syrup or maple syrup
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 toasted bread slices
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1 sliced tomato
- 4 crunchy lettuce leaves
How To Cook Tempeh BLAT Sandwich:
- Chop your tempeh block into thick slices.
- Place the remaining ingredients – except the oil – into a small dish and combine. Next, add the tempeh block slices and marinate them for about 15 minutes.
- Place the oil in a pan and add the tempeh slices (but keep the marinade!). Cook each slice for around two minutes on each side until brown, then add the marinade and two tablespoons of water.
- Turn down the temperature and cook until the sauce has caramelised.
- Lightly toast the bread slices, then layer the vegetables and the cooked tempeh inside. Enjoy!
Relish More Cedric Okiorina Recipes
Once you’ve munched down this wonderful Tempeh BLAT Sandwich, check out the rest of Chef Cedric Okiorina’s recipes. With great-tasting ideas informed by his extensive travels around the world, Cedric has a ceaseless passion for classic flavours that come with a modern twist.